Thursday, July 23, 2009

Did she say truck or trail?

I created a list of 26 things I wanted to do while I was 26. One of those things is hike Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon (BCC). I have lived in Utah since I was 4 and I have never hiked the most classic, most hiked trail in Utah. So on Tuesday evening Talena and I grabbed slurpees and headed up BCC. When we arrived at the trail head there was a group of YW eating donuts. Aren't their YW leaders cleaver?! Donuts - donut falls - get it. Actually I didn't realize the connection until we were 5 minutes up the trail. I am slow sometimes (actually most the time).

Talena my hiking buddy


As we were hiking we passed a father and his kids. One of the daughters said "there are 2 moose on the truck." We questioned if she had said truck or trail, but determined we had both heard truck so kept walking.

50 feet up the trail we encountered the 2 moose of which the young child had spoke of, but there was no truck. Trail. Yes the 2 moose were 5 feet off the trail munching on some greens. This is my 3rd time running into moose up BCC while hiking. I might be cursed. Actually this is the 3rd time that I was with Talena when I have had said moose encounters, maybe it is her not me. Needless to say we almost turned back, but I was determined to finish the hike so I could cross it off my list and she said we were very close so we continued on. We followed some other stupid hikers pass the moose and up to the falls.

Said Moose

The falls were cool. We hiked above the falls to witness the "donut" of donut falls. And now I can say I have hiked Donut Falls. Next time donuts while hiking (inspired by my YW friends).



Sometimes I like to think I am a photographer...



...Evidence that I am not (pic of donut falls)

Oh and yes we did pass the moose on the hike down. Passing them the second time was a little more scary because there were no other hikers around. But we survived to blog about it.

1 comment:

  1. Did you post your 26 things to do when you are 26?

    I think you need to share your list with the rest of the world. I have learned that posting things on a public cite creates a great deal of motivation. So let's see it! :)

    I'm glad the moose didn't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete