Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ra Ra Riot, Andrew Bird & Death Cab for Cutie Oh My!

Death Cab for Cutie

Monday pretty much rocked. A group of 7 friends and I went to the bestest concert ever! In March Death Cab for Cutie announced they would be performing at Red Butte Gardens. I'm a huge Death Cab fan. They were touring with Andrew Bird and Ra Ra Riot in which I am also fans. To order tickets early you could either get a Red Butt Membership or join the Death Cab Fan Club. I joined the DCFC for the free t-shirt (I'm a sucker for a free t-shirt). I ordered 8 tickets and as expected the show sold out fast. It was easy to find people for the tickets. Even when we had 3 extra tickets we were able to find replacements no problem.

Red Butte is a beautiful grassy amphitheater set up on the mountains by the U of U. It . The Rocky mountains in the background makes it an unforgettable concert venue. Red Butte is a "nice" venue so show usually get a nicer clientele. There are a lot of people that are Reb Butte members who don't even know the bands, but they go for the show anyway. They allow pretty much anything at the shows: chairs (low back), blankets, and full picnics including alcohol. You would be amazed at all the wine bottles in the recycling bins after the show. We had planned out a "finer things" menu that included Martinellis, chicken salad, cheese and crackers and chocolate. Ashley made the most delicious chicken salad.

Talena and Jeff S went early to get in line. They got in line about 4pm (almost 3 hours before the start of the show) and there was already a line. When I got there I was walking up the line to where Talena was sitting and I saw our landlord. I was nervous to say hi because this last week I had to write him an email to tell him the yard was a jungle. When he came over to clean up I wasn't sure if he is was annoyed or upset or what. Basically I was afraid he didn't like us. But I said hi because I thought it would be rude if I didn't. It took him a second to recognize me, but once he did he asked if we wanted to jump in line with him. He was only 10 feet from the gate. He told us that he and his friends had been doing rotations saving their spot in line starting at 9am. Thanks to my landlord and his overeager friends we got one of the best spots in the amphitheater.
Aren't we cute

The concert was amazing. All three bands were great. We ate dinner and listened to the Ra Ra Riot set and then went up in front by the stage for Andrew Bird and Death Cab. We were right behind the fence in front of the stage so we had a perfect view of all the jammin' out.
Here are some pics from the evening. I took 231 photos. I know I'm a little crazy, but you just never know which one is going to turn out. Don't worry I didn't post them all.
Ra Ra Riot

Andrew Bird

We likey

This guy was awesome...love the Purple tank



This game is called can you find Jannifer


Red head sandwich


Death Cab rocking out

Lead singer Ben




2 comments:

  1. Best Concert Ever!! Thanks again for the ticket, you are the best. PS I love the "Can you find Jannifer game", haha.

    ReplyDelete