Friday, September 18, 2009

Utah State Fair

I promise I will post about AUS and NZ, but I'm waiting to get all the pictures from Erika and Rachel so you have lots of stuff to look at.
But in the mean time there are still fun going-ons. Last night a group of friends and I went to the Utah State Fair. Let's just say, go big or go home. Big corn dogs, big yellow slides and big awkwardness.
We were late leaving for the fair so we were starving and hit the food as soon as we got into the fair. Of course at the fair you have to try all the fried food goodness. They had fried Oreos, friend Twinkies and fried candy bars (oh memories of NZ). I opted for the foot long corn dog. I have to admit it was a good corn dog. It wasn't like the ones you buy at Costco and heat up in the microwave that are soft and a little soggy. Top it off with a strawberry & banana smoothie and you have a great dinner.

What can I say...really

Smoothie goodness


Talena, Jeff and I got a little too much of the awkwardness for the evening. We paid $1 to see the smallest woman in the world. As soon as I walked in I felt like a horrible person. There really is a small woman in the room. The excitement to see a women seating a big person's hand is gone as you see a small midget who looks very sad and shy. A sign indicates she doesn't speak English and is from a foreign country (I think somewhere in Africa, but not sure the country name). She doesn't make eye contact and she looks a little scared. I felt so horrible being in there looking at her. We said hi and she sort of smiled. We tried talking to her to ease the awkwardness, but it didn't help. We quickly left feeling ashamed of ourselves for going in there and looking at her. I promise I am not a horrible person, but I felt like one last night. Don't do it. It seems funny when you see the sign, but when you walk in you will leave sorry.

Not sad enough that we couldn't take a picture.

To get over our shame we decided to slide on the big yellow slide that is a staple at the state fair. The last time I had the pleasure of this excitement was when I was little. Rebecca decided to sacrifice the pleasure of the slide to take photographic evidence of the 9 person slide off. Unfortunately, I don't have the pic, but I do have a pic of the slide that someone else on the internet took...so enjoy.


Next we explored the animal houses. My favorite is always the "rabbit ranch." I love the cute bunny rabbits. I grew up with a big white bunny we named Roger Rabbit. It was a sad day the day my mom sold him at a garage sale. I have tried to make her feel bad for that ever since (not really though). But I did call her last night and ask if I could buy a bunny and keep it at her house. She said no.

Sheep! The best part were the purple warm-ups

We finished off the fair with a walk through the fine arts, photography and craft sections. Who knew you could get a ribbon for sewing a gigantic hamburger.
I left last night learning never to pay money to see a small woman and having taken last place in the slide off, but I at least I left with a carmel apple (my favorite).

Me and Amber at the fair

Yeah the Davis county exhibit. Hey Viking!

My new boyfriend. We meet in the Tooele county exhibit.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'm going to make it this year! Sad. Glad that Tooele County was able to represent and that we didn't have to resort to Buffaloes with life preservers. :)

    ReplyDelete