Monday, December 21, 2009

Tis the season to snowshoe


Yes! It is official it's time to snowshoe. Saturday I went out for the first time this season and it was a beautiful start to a great snowshoeing season.
My friends Cody and Adam and their significant others and I headed up Lamb's Canyon. Adam and Tacy had to leave early and Cody and Margi were late so I spent some time hiking on my own, which was very pleasant (I like me).
Yes that is ice forming on my hair.

Most of the hike is along a stream and you are surrounded by beautiful aspens and pines. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera in the car. I took some photos with my camera phone, but I have no idea how to get the pics off except to text them. So if anyone knows how to do it give me a call.
The trail is a 1.75 mile hike to the Lamb's Canyon pass which then drops you into Millcreek Canyon on the Salt Lake side. The first half of the trail was well traveled from what looked like boarders hiking up for some good snow. The second half, well let's just say I think I was following moose tracks for awhile. I finally came to a spot where the tracks completely stopped. I followed some deer tracks left until those ended, then made a trail to the right to see if I could find a trail. By this point Adam and Tacy had left and I was alone waiting for Cody and Margi to follow my tracks up to me. I started to go up, but heard what I thought were some mini slides. Luckily Cody and Margi reached me and assured me that the avalanche conditions were ok.

Here is where it gets interesting. It was probably only another 50 yards to the pass. It took us another 2 hours to reach the pass/summit. The trail was straight up. We had to bushwhack our way up, weaving side to side trying to make the climb easier.
We reached the summit at 12pm. It was amazing. The canyon was so beautiful and of course at this perspective we could see so many easier ways up to the pass. Oh well. At least we were slow enough to look around and notice the 2 moose on the ridge line to our right. I am grateful they were far away because Margi kept calling them to come over.
Cody at the top

The hike down was remarkably fast which is typical. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I could have stayed up there longer. This is a new favorite trail despite the fact that we had to bushwhack the longest 50 yards (really with the weaving it was probably a half mile).

Yes, I found out how to get the pictures...Thanks Jake.

4 comments:

  1. With every phone I've had, you can text message your photos to an email address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake you are awesome...it worked. I'm glad to have smart friends. I'll add the photos to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I'm glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete