Monday, January 4, 2010

Yurt...oh how I love thee


I got to "yurt it up" this weekend. I was just called as the outdoors activity co-chair which means I help create the most awesome outdoor adventures for my ward. This past weekend we were able to snowshoe into a yurt and stay overnight. It was a great experience and I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone. A yurt is a canvas structure more permanent then a tent, but not as permanent as a cabin. Check it out on wikipedia...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt.
The hike into the yurt is beautiful. My favorite part is walking through a grove of tall pines that are basically bare.

It was great to relax in a cool place. But relaxing isn't enough we had to play too. We built the largest snowman I have ever seen. He stood at least 8 feet tall with dark brown eyes (fudge) and a carrot nose. Getting him assembled was no small task and we may have had to sacrifice Georgia and Johnny to do it, but it was worth it. Thanks to Georgia and Carolyn the snowman was not alone...he had his trusty chicken by his side (sorry I didn't get a picture of the chicken).

We were told that we would be cold in the yurt so we all prepared for 20 degree weather only to be uncomfortably hot. Minus Paul who had dripping water on his head all night and Danny who had a backpack dropped on his head, we all slept comfortably.
The yurt was a new adventure, the snowshoeing fun, the company couldn't have been better and the snowman still stands. What better weekend could you ask for?!

No comments:

Post a Comment