Friday, May 28, 2010

Sun, Sand, ER, Moab


Do you like how I just slipped the word ER into the title all sly like.  Haha, just seeing if you are awake.
Thursday night we headed south to Moab for our annual ward campout.  After a late evening of shopping and loading trailers we arrived in Moab at 2AM.  The ward came down Friday, but I wanted a few hours Friday morning to play in the sun before I went into "hostess" mode.   We camped on a tarp under the stars.  It was a beautiful evening and the stars were amazing.
Hiking Bill - Dan isn't fast, Matt is just really slow

Friday we headed to Negro Bill canyon and hiked to Morning Glory Bridge.  I got back to camp and went  mountain  biking with the ward.  We biked Klondike Bluffs which I had done a month earlier with friends.  I was doing so much better than the first time we did that trail.  I kept up with everyone really well and I was more confident on the bike.  Maybe too confident.  Never get cocky, you will be humbled.  Coming down I had to stop (I was following too close behind one rider).  I decided I was doing so well I would jump on my bike on a steep hill instead of walking down to a more level area before getting back on my bike.  I should have listened to the little voice because I quickly stumbled and after an unsuccessful recovery I fell, landing hard on my knees.   There is something funny that happens when your body has an impact like that.  I had already been feeling dehydrated and needing some food, but after I fell I was immediately sick.  I had a headache and my stomach was literally eating itself.  I crashed in the car until we got food at the Moab Brewery (delicious Jack Daniels Burger).  Burgers always revitalize me.  Back at camp Bro Buie got me all cleaned up and had my knees wrapped in ice within 20 minutes.
Knees all bandaged up

Saturday was rafting day.  I wasn't able to do any hiking the rest of the weekend so there was no way I was missing rafting.  We had a great day on the river despite the fact that the wind was so strong and the sun hid behind clouds all morning.  As far as I know no one died. (What I meant to say was everyone survived even though a few people ended up in the river and we all had fun.)
Rapids are fun

Don't be fooled, Buie is mean and mothering

Bro Buie can be very mothering when he wants to be.  After a day of rafting Buie and I headed to the ER for some xrays.  Four xrays, tetanus shot and an ice pack later I was back at camp with no broken bones, just a lot of swelling and bruising.
Check out the view...only by 4-wheel drive

The highlight of my trip was going 4-wheeling with the Carters and Smiths and listening to some new music (new to me).  After cleaning up camp I hopped in the back of Heidi's jeep for an awesome 4-wheeling trail.  The wind was so crazy that when we jumped out of the jeep to take in the views you had to brace yourself so you didn't get sweeped away into the grand canyon of Moab.  The entire drive home I listened to tones of great music who of course I can't remember the names of, but once I find out I'll share.
Mike's Pathfinder only made it after Heidi showed off her wheeling skills

From what I have been told everyone had a great weekend.  I was a little jealous of all the hiking the ward did, but I'm super happy that everyone enjoyed themselves.  I am grateful I was able to be a part of it, but secretly pray I get released before next year. :)
Sunday service and musical number...amazing.  Who says you can't be spiritual and dirty (camping dirt that is)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend! It makes me miss you... and Utah. The views are amazing. I'm glad there is no permanent damage to your knee.

    ReplyDelete