Friday, November 5, 2010

Art Project #5: Collage in Motion

My latest design is a collage in motion. My concept was text, action words, in motion.  I learned that I have a very narrow view of what a collage is and how to use it.  I really had to LEAP out of my comfort zone and relay on wiser designers (Ashley).  I also experienced the disappointment of waiting too late to start a project. I was 2/3 into it with very little time left when I opened it up for critique.  The critique was spot on and provided me with really good feedback and help to visual the strengths and weaknesses with the design.  Unfortunately, I was too far into it with too little time to make some of the recommended changes, but the critique helped me finish with something I am at least happy with. 


I was so nervous for my class to see it.  I liked it, but was afraid that it wasn't "collage" enough.  Most people in my class did a traditional collage with some slight variations to how things were laid out.  I think they liked my design, but it was a mixed response whether it was a collage or an illustration.  I guess it is good to stretch my perceptions of design a little and risk that they don't like it or disagree with it.  I learned a lot and have new ideas for how I would do it next time to make it more collage without looking collage.
A huge THANK YOU goes to Dan in my InDesign class who helped me figure out how to distort the text streams.  Jeff (also in InDesign) and Talena for helping me come up with ideas for my project.  And BIGGEST thanks to Ashley who is a design genius.  She is really great at communicating design.  I learn something more about design every time she critiques my work.  She is much better than some of my professors.

P.S. Still working on the patience in art thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment