Monday, November 15, 2010

Glass and Gardens

Beautiful Fall
Saturday morning my friends Mike and Jessica and I got up bright and early (9am) and headed out for a delicious breakfast at Eggs in the City and a morning at the Gardens (Red Butte Gardens that is). 
The night before I had seen the movie "Waiting for Superman" so we had a riveting discussion of the US school system throughout our breakfast.  Our conversation was so enthroning I hardly noticed how delicious my eggs benedict were.  The discussion got really intense.  We each had our opinions which didn't always agree, but I have to admit it was one of my favorite conversations.  I never felt like anyone was attacking the other person, we were just having a really interesting discussion of the point of the movie, our opinions on the school system, teacher unions (and unions in general) and areas we see for improvement.  I'm going to see that movie again this week with my mom who has been a teacher and school administrator since I was in Kindergarten, I am sure that will lead to further discussion and changing of my opinions.
Eventually, we did stop talking about it (at least for a few minutes, I have been talking about all weekend).  The entire purpose of our outing was not breakfast but to see the glass art show at Red Butte Gardens.  I got a membership to the Gardens earlier this year so I could buy early discounted tickets to the concert series which resulted in of course one of my favorite concerts in my favorite venue.  I decided I needed to get some use out of it and use up my guest tickets.  The glass art show was presented by the Utah Guild of Glass Artist.  The work was really interesting and we were curious how some of it was created. 
After perusing the art we headed outside for the gardens.  We let our inner child escape and we had a great time running around and enjoy the beautiful fall garden.

My favorite glass piece
Jess loves crazy reindeer mummy bushes
Why?  Because they were there
We feed the fish...
...looked creepy...
...and carefully explored our surroundings. 
It was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment