Friday, November 11, 2011

Menu Planning: Three weeks and counting

When I was little I wanted to be a chef. But over the last few years I have become really lazy. I never cook or bake or grill. I wanted that to change. I wanted to cook and bake more. Not only because I love it or because it makes me feel like a real adult or the fact that it is a great "mommy skill", but because it is great for my pocket book and for my waistline. (Ok I am not really that concerned with my waistline, but I think it is important to be healthy.) So all around good things, right?!
As part of my goals this year I wanted to be better at making meal plans for my week and shop for only the things on my list. I am usually terrible at this because I eat out a lot and hardly go shopping and usually don't take a list. A few weeks ago I was out shopping with my mom and found cute menu planners at Anthropolgie. Maybe it is just because I love everything in that store or because it has a good simple cute design or because it is actually helpful, but I have actually planned out my meals with these little sheets of paper for the last 3 weeks. Look at me being healthy and all adult like. This also means I am learning new recipes for item 27 on my list (add tomato bisque to my list).
Check out these "What to Eat" notepads if you are like me and need a little extra (and cute to boot) help planning out your meals.

How I do it:

  1. I review my week and mark days that I will be going out for dinner with friends or on a date and mark those immediately. 
  2. I then review what I have in my cabinets and fridge to see if there is any food I need to eat before it spoils (usually not now that I am using this plan).
  3. I try to pick a combination of new recipes and standard favorites. 
  4. After filling in the menu I review the ingredients and use the back of the meal planner to write a grocery list. 
Don't forget to mark things for breakfast, lunch (usually my leftovers or easy stuff) and snacks.


If I can steal a Martha Stewart line, "It is a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment