Friday, April 9, 2010

Crazy Capitol Hill

Performance art performing at the capitol

I love where I live.  There is always something going on.  Last night on our way to dinner with friends Ashley, Talena and I noticed a large group of people at the capitol dressed all in white.  We thought it was a little weird and wondered if it was some sort of protest (that seems to happen a lot on the capitol).  While at dinner someone told us they had heard it was a performance art piece and it would be going all night.  So of course we had to check it out.  After dinner we went home to get in warm clothes and meet our friends on the capitol steps where we discovered the art of Ernesto Pujol in progress.  The piece called "Awaiting" went from sunset Thursday evening to sunrise Friday morning.  The actors (or do you call them artists) were dressed head-to-toe in white and walked around the steps of the capitol in what we were told was not random patterns.  It was a little crazy and more then a little weird.  We were there long enough to hear some creepy music play on the hour and my friend Matt had his soul stolen (ok that was a joke, there was no soul stealing going on).
Article in the Trib about the performance http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14815557

That crazy pink board

The event made me think about modern art.  I'm sorry I just don't get it.  It if is cool looking, I like it, but really what is the purpose of some of it.  A few years ago I visited the MoMA in New York.  It was really cool and there was some good art, but then there was some stuff I wanted to shake my head at and say "WTF."  Modern artists always seem to have some hidden meaning behind their art that I just don't think they express very well (maybe they are bad communicators).  They try to share their opinion about the political system by creating a tall pink board leaning against a wall (I made up that interruption).  I wonder if it isn't more logical that they just seat around saying "If I splattered some paint on a canvas without any pattern or purpose, how long would people stand in front of it and discuss its deeper meaning?  Wouldn't that be funny.  Even better, how much do you think I could get those lunatics to pay for it?"  Seriously Jackson Pollock I am on to you. 
Just some art from Jackson Pollock that is probably work a billion dollars

But really, life would be far less interesting without the work of artists.  And athough I came off skeptical of how artist express themselves, I love art.  Art in all its different forms is intriguing and beautiful. 

Side note really
On our way to the capitol we passed a house down the street from us where they were filming a movie.  The movie is based on the life of Aron Ralston who had to cut off his arm when he was trapped by a boulder hiking in southern Utah.  We took a picture of the set.
The bright light on a crane is a dead give away of their location

No comments:

Post a Comment