Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bikes and Bands

Yesterday was simply FABULOUS!  It started out with my boss saying he would pay for my schooling (hence the last post).  I had a great lunch with two of my close friends. Upon leaving the parking lot to return to work I saw the Live Strong U-23 Team car (under 23, yes they are babies).  I sent the photo to a few biking friends, Dan sent me a text that made me giggle so I'll share... "Knock on the window. 'Lance. Come out, baby. I know you're in there!"  HAHA.  I was kind of tempted.
Live Strong Team car in SLC.
 Lance really wasn't in there, but the plates were from Texas
After work we walked down the street to the Capitol to watch the Prologue of the Tour of Utah.  It is a 6 Stage, stage race thru Utah.  It is a professional race (maybe not Lance worthy, but still a good race).  It is "Arguably the most difficult non-UCI stage race in the States."  Levi Leipheimer, who rides on Lance's team is racing this year.  Read more about Levi and TOU - http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/news/leipheimer-versus-the-world-at-tour-of-utah_134583

Bissel Pro Team, I think

Almost passed
I went to a couple stages of the TOU last year and I hope to get to a few this year, especially the last stage which ends up Little Cottonwood Canyon at Snowbird.
Yesterday's stage was a short 2.8 mile time trail around the Memory Grove loop.  The top time was just over 6 minutes.  They were so fast most of my photos came out blurry.

This guy, I don't know.  But he was trying to tempt the riders with money.
He was nice enough to give this little girl a $1

Chase on the Live Strong team.  He is a Utahn

We didn't get to watch for long, because we headed off to the Dave Matthews Band concert.  Yes, I said Dave Matthews Band.  It has been 12 years since I have seen him live and he is even better than I remember.  The first time I saw him they had just released their album, Crash.  My sister, Kelly took me (she is a good older sister).  It was my first rock concert and we sat on the hillside of Wolf Mountain (yes it was that long ago, not called Wolf Mountain anymore).

Our view
This year tickets were free.  DMB has had to cancel the last two years for various reasons so this year they opened up tickets to previous ticket holders for free.  Lucky for me, my friend had extra tickets.  Traffic to USANA Amphitheater was insane so we missed the opening band, Brett Dennen (lucky I already saw him last year).

Dave is so hot...yummy
Dave didn't disappoint.  It was a great show.  He played a great mix of his new stuff and old classics, songs like: You & Me, #41, Gravedigger, Sister, Jimi Thing and more .  I was really excited that he played some stuff from his solo album, Some Devil, which is my favorite album.
Next year, I'm going to fork out the $60+ to see him again.
I love the drummer (on the right screen).

No comments:

Post a Comment