Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm seeing a theme

Without many weekend plans I ended up watching a few movies that had been on my list for awhile.  And apparently I like the outdoors. 
Friday night I watched "Touching the Void" a movie based on the book, based on the real life story. 

The story is about 2 climbing partners, Simon and Joe who attempt Siula Grande in Peru.  On the decent, Joe breaks his leg.  Simon trys to lower him, but when Joe is lowered over an edge and Simon's begins to lose his position on the mountain, Simon is forced to cut the rope holding them together and Joe falls into a crevasse.  Believing Joe to be dead, Simon continues down the mountain back to camp.  BUT Joe survived the fall (and because it won't be giving away the ending because it is a true story) he is actually able to crawl, shuffle and pull himself back to camp. 
Great movie if you aren't offended by the "F" word which is used about 30 times in a 30 second period.

On Saturday, a couple friends and I went to the zoo.  So after starting school it has become very apparent that I'm horrible at drawing.  The trip to the zoo was to help me relax and have a fun time sketching (frustration free).  I am not sure if it had that exact effect, but at least I got to go to the zoo.
I finished the evening with 2 of my favorite things, slacklining and movies.  We went to Liberty park to slackline.  After we had our fill of the line (well I really can never get my fill) we headed to the Clark Planetarium to see "The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest."  Some of my climbing friends had seen it and so I was excited to go check it out.

The movie was great.  But then again, I pretty much like any movie that has mountains in it, especially the mother of all mountains.  It was the story of George Mallory's attempt to be the first person to climb Everest and his resulting death.  George Mallory attempted the summit of Everest in 1924 almost thirty years before Sir Edmund Hillary became the first man to summit in 1953.  Mallory died on Everest and no one knew if he reached his goal.  Climber Conrad Anker found Mallory's body in 1999 still on the mountain. With much of his clothing and gear still intact (he even had hair on his head) there was one important thing missing.  Missing from Mallory's body was the picture of his wife he promised to leave at the summit.  The movie then follows Anker as he climbs Everest to see if it were possible for Mallory to have summited in 1924. 
Cool movie with great shots of Everest.

So do you see it, the theme here?  I see it.

1 comment:

  1. Now I really want to watch "The Wildest Dream"

    ReplyDelete