Wednesday, June 29, 2011

This garden thing is great, lunch time

I am really enjoying this garden thing. The sprinklers have been doing great keeping all my plants alive. I give of few areas some extra water every few days, but really sprinklers are great. I have been coming home everyday and pulling any pesky weeds I find. Those vine weeds are the worst.
It was my brother's 30th bday on Monday (Happy Birthday Matt!) so at family dinner I got a few plant tips from my mom and sister.

  • Cut off the flowers on my cilantro...check. 
  • Dish soap and water in a spray bottle will get rid of my bugs...check. 
  • And I can plant carrots every 2 weeks and keep harvesting all summer...check.
Today, was particularly fun. I came home for lunch and made a salad. But not just any salad, a delicious salad with delicious lettuce. Delicious lettuce that I grew in my little garden. Yes, that is right I am already harvesting some food. When my lettuce gets to a reasonable size I cut off the leaves for my dinner. It then grows back for me to cut again and again. I like this lettuce thing.
So lunch today was a steak salad with garden fresh lettuce, slivered almonds, crumbled feta cheese (my favorite), tomatoes (from the store, but soon to be replaced by garden fresh) and a little cube steak all topped with my favorite spicy chipotle dressing. I do say it was a great lunch. Don't you think?


1 comment:

  1. My mom plants a few marigolds next to her lettuce because it keeps bugs and deer away. I haven't heard the dish-soap trick, that is probably better when space is at a premium.

    xox

    ReplyDelete