Monday, May 30, 2011

#8 Plant a garden...check

The plants are in the ground. And they only look half dead. Last weekend while I was in Moab I left the plants on the balcony to get the sun and showers. Most of the plants were looking a little worn when I got home Sunday evening. They are very happy to be the soil.
My friend Analiesa, who is a super smart botanist, came over to help me plant Wednesday. She is so nice to me. I am pretty sure she thought I was a plant killer when she saw how desperate my plants looked. She helped me determine where each should be planted based on sunlight, water drainage from our roof (I noticed some pretty intense waterfalls from our rain gutters during the last few storms) and how each plant grows. She taught me how to harvest each plant. She even taught me which plants are good bug repellent (who know jalapenos were a good repellent). I planted most from starts I purchase at J&L Nursery and two from seed.


Hopefully, this won't be a common occurrence this summer, but there was already one plant casualty.  One of my lettuce plants tore right off the root when I went to pull it out of the container to plant. Luckily, I had lots of backup.
So let's take an inventory of my garden. After weeding, re-terracing (check out my handy-work), more weeding, adding "good" soil, planting and watering I have a garden. Hopefully, throughout the summer and fall I will be harvesting:

  • Carrots
  • Beans
  • Zucchini
  • Cucumbers
  • Cabbage
  • Lettuce
  • Jalapenos
  • Tomatoes (3 varieties)
  • Bell peppers (Red, green and orange)
  • Cilantro
  • Chives

No comments:

Post a Comment