Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Let's TRI

I competed in my first triathlon on May 30. My friend Marne wrangled me into signing up for the Salem Spring Triathlon over 8 months ago. Of course that far in advance you don’t realize how little time you actually have to prepare. I say little because for the first 4 months you think it is so far away that there is not point to train. Then starts the “4 month training program” which just means that you start it and by week 3 you have already lost your motivation. On top of that the Salem Tri is a sprint; 800 meter SWIM, 13 mile BIKE, and 5K RUN (3.1 miles for those who don’t work in kilometers). The bike I wasn’t worried about because my regular bike training would cover 13 miles easy. The 5K was alright, you can always walk if you have to. Swim? What is swimming? An 800 meter swim that is 1/2 mile! What did I get myself into? Blackham’s by nature are not swimmers. We are only buoyant because we are human. No one in my family swims and definitely no one swims 1/2 mile. Lucky a friend of mine used to be a life guard and swim coach, personal trainer and triathlon winner and he taught me to swim. You should have seen me swim on that first lesson, it was just sad.


Race day arrived. I had my rented wetsuit (highly recommend Salt Lake Running Company, pricey but good), my baby (aka my bike) and lots of nerves.
Marne and I were really nervous for the swim. Luckily I had been training for the swim and had done an open water swim the week before. I freaked out in Willard bay instead of Salem Lake. Even though I was prepared I still felt that I should do the backstroke until I felt comfortable to flip over and freestyle. It took me 700 meters to feel comfortable. But I quickly got into a rhythm. I swam until I noticed that people were walking in the water next to me.
In the end we swam without drowning, biked without flats, and ran without cramps.

Swim Bike Run

Finish Times

  • Billy (Marne’s Husband) - 1 hr 56 min
  • Me - 1 hr 58 min
  • Marne - 2 hr 3 min

Billy beat both Marne and my times and he had super long transitions: getting a drink, going to the bathroom. How he kicked our butts without training and by just taking it easy will always annoy me.

Note: I only post these times so that you can be amazed when I drop a lot of time on my next tri.


What I learned at my first Tri?
  1. Tris are fun. I want to do it again.

  2. Open water swims are scary, practice in open water before your tri.

  3. Swim caps are terribly hard and painful to put on without water

  4. Your age is written on your calf so when you see a 38 or a 45 run pass you know you need to run faster.

  5. Sleeveless is a must, how else can you get cool pictures with your number on your arm.

Me, Marne, Billy

FYI we are trying to show off our age on our calves (26, 26, 26)

1 comment:

  1. Yea!! This makes me so happy :) I'm a way better blogger than emailer - way to go on the tri-athalon. I signed up for a 5k this summer and am already regreting it. . .and it's not only a third of what you did. Now you need to link other snow-collegers so I can blog-stalk them too ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete