Thursday, June 11, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood & The Big Bad...

Last year I bought my first road bike. I had been biking in the MS 150 for 2 years as part of the Orbit team. Unfortunately for my riding enthusiasm I rode an old mountain bike, never trained and wore thin biking shorts. This all added up to a “super UNFUN” ride. Super UNFUN means that my butt was sore for a week, I cried on the ride and didn’t even finish my first year. This is embarrassing to admit, but it is the truth. So last year, influenced by my cycling enthusiast friends, I got my Trek 2.1 WSD bike. Big shout out goes to Mike and Matt for getting me into a really expensive sport! Thanks guys. Needless to say last year’s ride on top my new bike, supported by 2 really strong riders and actually having trained, I rode 87 miles (it was only supposed to be 75 but that is another story). I followed that up with my first century ride last August, riding 111 miles in the ULCER. The birth of a biking addict!

My Baby

Riding Hard on the Little Red Ride

So you ask, what does this have to do with Little Red Riding Hood? Well, I have been talking up cycling to all of my family and friends so much that my sister-in-law, Tera, recently purchased her first road bike. I convinced her to set a goal and to train for a long ride. The Little Red Riding Hood is a women’s only ride in Cache Valley. This would be a great ride to test out her skills. Basically I just convinced her to sign up with me so that I would have someone to ride with.
After months of training, the LRRH was last weekend. My sister-in-law was amazing. She trained for the ride while raising 3 kids by herself (my bro/her husband is off doing Army training stuff), going to school full time to finish her degree and holding a church calling (I think she was the primary president, but don’t quote me on that.) And she rode like a champ. The LRRH ride is now one of my favorite rides. Overall, we rode 62.3 miles. Next year we go for 100.

Special thanks to my mom who watched my nieces and nephew the entire day so that we could ride. She even followed us around to take pictures.

Still smiling after 62.3 miles

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing - that many miles on a bike! And doing a triathalon! WOW!
    I'm glad you have a blog! It's fun to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie. I could never have done it without you! I had so much fun. Let's do it again.

    I'm glad you started a blog. I love reading what you have done and what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete