Monday, September 20, 2010

Golf, Dew & Baseball


Watch out woman driver
This weekend was filled with summer first.  It was my first time driving a golf cart.  It was my first time seeing Neon Trees.  It was also my first time almost breaking a toe hitting at the batting cages.  I know the last one seems really interesting, but we have to start in order. 

GOLF CART
Friday we got out of work a couple hours early to play 9 holes of golf.  We divided up into teams and played what is called "best ball" golf.  This means everyone on the team hits and whoever has the best ball (best hit, usually the furthest) we all get to hit from their spot for our next hit.  I am very proud to say that even though I am a girl who has only played golf once (when I was 14) I actually had the best ball several times.  Because there were only 3 players on our team, I got to drive my very own golf cart.  I have never been in one before and it was AWESOME.  I had a blast weaving in and out of trees and even practicing doing figure eights in reverse.
First swing of the day (and it actually was a good hit)
DEW TOUR & NEON TREES
After golf a few friends and I headed over to the Dew Tour to watch some wicked cool BMX and FMX.  The tricks were scary which makes it exciting to watch.
FMX (Freestyle Motorcross)

Look mom! No hands!
After the tricks we head out to watch the Paper Tongues and Neon Trees perform.  Paper Tongues...not a fan.  Really cheesy.  They were trying too hard to be cool.  Neon Trees was much more natural and great performers.  The downside to the show were all the preteens whose parents let them run around the streets of SLC unsupervised to annoy the rest of the population with immaturity.  But I guess it did make it easier to watch the show over top of them (most weren't talker then my shoulders).

BASEBALL & TOES
Alright now to the broken toe (almost).  As part of the work golf activity on Friday we had our annual work BBQ Saturday evening at Mulligan's in Sandy.  We ate food and got free reign of the facility's activities.  Which means I hit 4 tokens worth of balls in the batting cages and a large bucket of golf balls.  It was on my third token I got my first battle scare. A blister had form and proceeded to detach itself from the rest of my thumb in a not so pleasant stinging sensation, but that wouldn't keep my from using my last token.  That pride in how tough I am lead to my second battle scare for the evening.  I had been hitting very well (some might say that I was better than my big tough guy friend who can hit home runs), but a suggestion from that friend had me changing up my hitting style.  One time was all it took to hit the ball awkwardly and have the ball slam right into my toes, breaking off 2 toes nails and bruising my middle toe.  Luckily, no permanent damage done.  I finished out the token because truthfully I think the blister hurt a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment